Have you ever wondered how long to wear compression socks? If so, you're not alone. We've all been there, and it's no fun. You just got home with your new compression socks, and now you have to figure out when and for how long to wear them.
The answer? It depends on what kind of compression socks you have, but a few general rules may apply. In this article, we will dig deep into how long to wear compression socks.
What’s The Deal With Compression Socks?
Compression socks are a great way to help your feet, ankles, and calves feel better. They can help reduce swelling and improve circulation in those areas, making it easier for you to move around during the day.
The compression levels of the socks will vary depending on your needs and preferences. These are worth trying out if you're looking for something that offers more support than just a regular pair of socks.
Different Compression Levels
Compression stockings and compression socks come in different levels of compression: light, medium, and heavy. The level of compression you choose depends on your medical condition and the type of activity you're doing. For example, you might want to wear heavy compression socks for recovery but light compression socks while standing all day at work.
- Light Compression: Light compression socks have a pressure rating between 15-20 mmHg. This is the least amount of pressure being applied to your legs, so it's recommended for people recovering from injuries or surgery that affect their lower extremities.
- Medium Compression: Medium compression socks have a pressure rating between 20-30 mmHg, considered medium-to-high intensity for most people. This is the best choice if you're looking for something that supports daily activities like walking around the office or standing at work.
- Firm Compression: Heavy compression socks have a pressure rating between 30-40 mmHg. They're designed to provide maximum support for those suffering from a circulatory problem such as deep vein thrombosis. They are also used as recovery management after surgery. The use of this compression level is prescribed by a doctor.
- Extra Firm Compression Socks: This type of compression sock has a pressure level of 40-50 mmHg. This is prescribed for people suffering from more severe cases of circulatory problems.
Benefits of Wearing Compression Socks
When it comes to health benefits, there are so many reasons why you should start wearing compression stockings or compression socks today:
- They help with circulation so that you can move around more freely and comfortably. Compression socks are designed to help increase blood flow in your legs and feet. This can help with swelling and numbness.
- They boost oxygenation in your muscles, which means less cramping after exercise and faster recovery.
- They reduce the risk of injury while exercising by improving proprioception. Proprioception is the ability to sense where parts of your body are in a specific space. This can help prevent slips and falls on slippery surfaces.
- They reduce muscle fatigue during exercise by increasing blood flow through your muscles. This improves the function of the muscles, and makes them more efficient at doing their job!
- They help prevent blood clots by keeping the blood from pooling in your legs and ankles. This can be helpful if you are prone to developing DVTs or have had one before.
- They make it easier for your heart to pump blood through your body by improving circulation in your veins and arteries. This helps reduce swelling, commonly associated with varicose veins and deep vein thrombosis.
- They can help speed up recovery time after surgery or injury by reducing swelling in injured tissues. It also helps accelerate healing time by increasing oxygenation levels in tissues near wounds so they can heal more quickly!
How Long Should You Wear Compression Socks
So you've got a new pair of compression socks and wondering how long to wear them. The answer is: it depends!
If you're using them for recovery, you can wear them up to 24 hours after exercise. If they're part of your daily routine, you should wear them during the day and take them off at night. This way, they'll be ready when you put them on again in the morning.
If you have particular areas of concern like sore feet, ankles or legs, find the compression level that's right for your needs. You should wear compression socks from the moment you get up until the moment you go to bed. The more pressure there is on your legs and feet, the better the chance that blood flow will increase. This means less inflammation and faster healing times.
On the other hand, if you experience pain and severe discomfort, be sure to remove your compression socks immediately.
So, how long do to wear compression socks? The answer is: as long as they make you feel comfortable. At the end of the day, compression socks are a personal decision. The most important thing to remember is that you have to do what works for you and your body.
Suppose you need to figure out how long to wear them. Try wearing them for 20 minutes and working up from there. Just make sure to always check with your doctor before starting a new regimen.
If you are looking for a reliable compression socks Canada brand, Dr. Segal's Compression Socks are a perfect choice. Not only do we offer high-quality compression socks at an affordable price, but we also offer a wide range of sizes and styles to suit every need. If you're looking for a new pair of compression socks or upgrading your current ones, look no further than Dr. Segal's Compression Socks Canada!